Homeschool Musings of a Charlotte Mason Mom

Welcome to my Homeschool Musings of a Charlotte Mason Mom

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Giving My Daughter Deserved Praise

Today has been a beautiful day. The weather has been great, our schooling has moved quickly, and we've eaten our dinner and the kitchen is already cleaned for the night. We may learn to balance this homeschool/home life routine out after all.
Beings all other needful things have already been accomplished this day I thought I'd blog a minute about my daughter.
I have seen so many improvements in her education this year. She has always been an excellent reader and always kept a pencil or pen in her hand, but when it came to History, Geography, and Science that was a different story.
We are working out of a Geography work book this semester called World Geography Grade 6 by Brighter Child. It is a pretty basic book that has the children labeling, coloring, answering a few questions, and some cutting and glueing, but it has really helped my daughter. She now can break her continents and oceans up in to hemispheres. I know that doesn't sound like a great accomplishment, but coming from my daughter she deserves a round of applause. I'm looking forward to evaluating her at the end of the year, just to see how much more she has learned.
Like I have said many times on here already, learning to write was going to be our main focal point this year. We have pushed that tremendously.
Again, I have seen accomplishment in my daughter. In the past she did keep a pen or pencil in her hand, but it was just for drawing or very unorganized writing. Yesterday, my children had to write a paper giving instructions to a substitute teacher that would fill in for them while they were out of pocket. My daughter pretended she was a guide dog instructor so she wrote her paper giving her substitute instructions on how they were to train and feed the dogs while she was out. She opened her paper with a strong topic sentence and give instructions for the training of two dogs. Both sets of instructions were put in to a different paragraph and then she closed her instructions out very clearly with a a closing paragraph. Her paper was great! I feel confident by the end of the year she will be a fluent writer.
I am so proud of my baby. She is turning in to a fine young lady. She helps me cook quite often and is starting to help with the laundry with out having to be asked. She's growing up.
Until next time, everyone have a happy homeschooling, and enjoy your babies. They grow up too fast. Traci

1 comment:

Charlotte Mason in the City said...

It's fun to give deserved praise, isn't it? It's fun to read, too. :)

I just discovered your blog today - I'll be checking back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...